Recipe to Make Your Own Chinchilla Wood Chew Sticks
- Start with an UNTREATED Chinchilla-safe wood variety. Wood from a known organic source is ideal.
- Cut wood into the desired sizes (approx 3 inches is just about right for your chinchilla to handle)
- Scrub wood pieces with a stiff bristled brush to remove all dirt, lichens, bird poop, or other “natural additives”
- Boil wood pieces for approximately 20 minutes in salt water
- Lay wood pieces on a towel or rack and allow to dry for a couple of hours
- Place on cookie sheet and bake in 200 -250 degree oven for 2 – 8 hours (baking time depends on thickness of wood)
- Bake till dry and stiff, but not burnt. Adequately prepared wood will have small cracks on the cut ends.
Store your homemade wood treats in a cardboard box, or paper bag to ensure air flow and continued drying. If you store in a plastic bag or airtight container you could trap in any remaining moisture and mold could grow.
Serve your wood chew sticks to your pet chinchilla with pride and love!